- September 20, 2018
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks, QuickBooks Error Codes
Simple Steps to Fix Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks is an accounting tool that is instrumental in assisting business owners, accountants and tax professionals in meeting their business goals. This is an advanced software. But like any other computer software, QB too receives some errors and glitches that may compel professionals to pause their work. This article is created to discuss Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop. Further, in this post, you will be informed of some of the most common reasons for the occurrence of this error and some useful tips to fix it.
Introduction of Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop
This is a data error of a specific type. When this error occurs, all the measurements unit merge with one another to overreach the maximum limit of a particular field. Some of the general cases of Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop are as follows:
- When attempting to access or open any data, report or file and one or multiple fields of a column feature this error message.
- Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop may also show up at the time of running the Verify Data utility. The error text may read “Problem: An overflow error has occurred, one of your accounts has crossed the max limit allowed.”
- This error has more probability of happening with “the chart of accounts.” If this is the case, the overflow will show up on one or more balance sheets instead of an amount.
“Problem: An overflow error has occurred. One of your accounts has exceeded the maximum value allowed.”
What causes Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
There might be one or more of the following reasons behind the occurrence of this error:
- The account balance of your company or other fields is more than $9,999,999,999,999.99.
- A damaged or corrupted transaction data in your company data.
- In case you convert a large amount on a group item to a different large amount, this error may appear by the component item of the group.
- If the inventory has a value larger than the items number.
- If the format mismatches with the format accepted by the QuickBooks Accounting Software.
How to Fix Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
Important Note: Before performing any of the solutions, it is recommended to verify that your computer meets the QuickBooks Desktop Editions (2018, 2017, 2016, 2015) system requirements. Things to check in particular are Regional Settings, Disk Space and available RAM.
Solution 1: Rebuild Your Data Files
- File Menu > Utility > Rebuild Data.
- Click Ok if a message box asks you to back up your company file in order to secure your data.
- Click Ok after Rebuild is complete.
Solution 2: Format Mismatch Issue
Follow the below-given steps in case of mismatch issue:
- In case the overflow error is triggered by format mismatch, overflow rows may not appear on the error report. Create the columns to show up by year and months.
- Export your spreadsheet to your desktop.
- Now, minimize QuickBooks and right-click the export file.
- Select Open With and then go to Microsoft Excel.
- Press Ctrl+F to open the search box.
- Type Overflow and tap on Find Next.
- Go back to QuickBooks and rectify the data in Account, Name and item fields.
- Open Microsoft Excel and keep following the process until there are no results left.
Solution 3: Overflowing Issue with a Group Item
- You need to set the Group Item Quantity to naught.
- Close the field.
- Again put the exact Group Item Quantity.
Solution 4: Only One Item Is overflowing Issue
If while working on QB you receive a warning that one item is overflowing, it may be the one, in most cases, that has been added recently. Though there might be some exceptions, wherein an already existing item may also be the cause of the error.
Case 1. if the error caused by the newly added item, you can remove that from the list and recreate that.
Case 2. If it’s an old item –
- check the item and fix the transaction causing an overflow.
- Type in Adjust Quantity/Value on Hand file in order to adjust or rectify the average cost in case you find the existing transaction causing the error. In the meanwhile, if you need instance technical assistance you can contact the QuickBooks Error Support team.
Solution 5: Too Large Account Balance or Other Fields Issue
It may happen that the account balance field or other fields are exceeding their max limits due to some unidentified reasons. The maximum limit in QuickBooks is $9,999,999,999,999.99. In case any account balance crosses the max limit, the field will itself show the overflowing error. Here is what you can do in this case:
- Perform troubleshooting required for basic data damage.
- Make a portable QB company file.
- Restore the file to a new functioning file.
- Verify your charts of accounts
- Go to List menu and tap on Chart of Accounts.
- Spot the account having balance equal to or more than 10,000,000,000,000.
- Minimize the balance of the account.
- Follow the below steps if the issue still exists.
- Overflow on memorized reports
- In this case, go to Reports menu to run the report.
- If you don’t see overflow in new report, delete it and recreate the memorized report.
- Move to the following steps if you see overflow.
- Search all fields in all lists that have an amount or total. You may require to add the inactive items while going through your lists.
- Go to the Lists and select Add/Edit Multiple List entries.
- Click Customize Columns and choose any field that has an amount, for example, Cost, Price, etc. Find Overflow and the correct, change or remove the amount.
- Check all lists available.
- In case you are using an updated version of QuickBooks, go to Edit, find overflow, search for list elements and then transactions.
- Edit the amounts and keep checking them the error message stops appearing.
Solution 6: A Corrupted Transaction Issue
In case the error is triggered by a corrupted transaction, follow the give steps:
- Run Financial Statements, Sales by Customer, Sales by Item, Custom Transaction Details, and other reports until you find overflow.
- Keep performing Quick-zoom to find the transaction level.
- Correct the transaction.
We hope that this article will assist you in fixing the Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop. In case the issue persists, or you need assistance in regards to any other QB related issue you can contact our efficient QuickBooks Customer Support team at our toll-free number +1 800 880 6389.